spreading the sky

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Hydaspes

Life has been so quiet lately, and that's why I have not blogged in quite a while. I have been busy with stuff for school: thesis, theology, philosophy and all my other papers for various classes. I have not been going out as much as I used to, and that's not because I am drowned in school work. I can still manage to go out if I want to, since I work wonderfully when I cram stuff. It's just that I don't feel the need to go out as much anymore. I went to the bars, I went to the parties, and it's all beginning to seem quite monotonous. That's my problem, I get tired of things too quickly. I have not totally exausted the bar and party scene yet (although I'm getting there) and already I feel that I will eventually get bored with it.

This reminds me of an apocryphal story of Alexander the Great. When he was at the banks of the Hydaspes River in India, his army of weary soldiers simply refused to go on. Since they were surrounded by an impregnable wall of jungle, Alexander's army had no other option but to turn back and head for home. The point: after establishing an empire that streched from Macedonia to India, Alexander finally ran up against a blank wall. Upon realizing that one has finished conquering all that there is to conquer, what then does one do? Alexander the Great sat down and wept. The waters oif the Hydaspes, ran with his tears.

As of today, I just feel strange and confused. Is what I am experiencing now simply a bout of boredom, or have I reached my Hydaspes?

1 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Blogger Dom Cimafranca said...

Hi, Ino: if I might continue the story, it would take another 800 years before that barrier was finally crossed, and that by the Muslims. I guess the moral is: give it time.

--Dom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home